Thursday, August 7, 2008

Flip Flop Dilemma and Dutch Babies

It is 3 pm and I just got off the phone with my youngest sister in law. I love her. She might make me rethink my hatred of the phone. She is just someone I like. I feel really lucky that she thinks to call me and just say "hi"

I wanted to write a little about my families new found love affair with Dutch Babies. If you don't know what they are, then you don't have a MIL and SIL ( One of the eight I have , this one Im talking about is FP's second youngest sister. ) like I do. They are planning a brunch for sunday and I wanted to help. I was asked to make two Dutch Babies or Oven pancakes. I had never made one and had a vague idea of what they were but nothing more. MIL says I'll send you the recipe and you try it and see how it goes. I did. Let me just say our family now comsumes these puffy pans of yumminess , frequently.

I made two the first day. And that was about a week and a half ago. Since I have probably made, 8 more. LOL. I will post MIL's recipe here because I would be remiss not to share it. Needless to say we are all very greatful that MIL and SIL shared this with us. Breakfast will never be the same!

I wanted to make an amendment to my earlier post regarding MIL. She really is a kind lady and her egg deliver was only her way of helping ease our burden. I really do know that and appreciate that. I just have a pet peeve and it could have been anyone that dropped in , it just happened to be her.

On to the recipe:

GERMAN OVEN PANCAKE
6 TBLS. butter or marg.
7 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
Dash of salt

(Diced ham or crumbled sausage can be added if desired)

Heat the oven to 400. Melt the butter in a 9x 13 baking dish. Place allthe other ingredients in a blender and sap until well blended. Pour themixture into the buttered baking pan. (Sprinkle now with the meat.) Bake20 to 25 min. Serve with butter & syrup or fresh fruit and powderedsugar or with jams and jellies.

I have to make two for my family but I am sure one will feed a regular size family just fine although its yummy factor might just negate family size.

I make mine with diced ham and serve it with powdered sugar. SOOOOO GOOD.
I have to add that I have never gotten a recipe from MIL that we all didn't just love. So try it. Its quite possibly sin in a 9x13 in pan. *grin*

So to wrap this part up. Pet peeves aside I love my family. All billion of them.

I promised a story about our flip flop dilemma and here it comes. Superman once again the star of the show asks if he can go with FP and I to the store. He promises that if we take him " You'll be really happy" That always makes us smile. FP really enjoys Superman's cajoling because secretly FP really is happy when he takes Superman places. FP is happy when he takes the kids anywhere, most days. lol.

So Superman gets to go with us as well as Walker TR. Here comes the dilemma. Superman can't find his other flip flop. Yes he is his mothers son. I can never find two shoes at once. It's what FP is for. Anyway, the house stops in order to find Superman's renegade flip flop because I can see the tears forming as he begins to think he won't be able to go. FP has been known to leave without kids on his errands do to poor shoe organization practices . I recruit everyone in the house to find said flip flop. Five minutes later we have 5, yes 5, left foot flip flops. Of course we need the righty. Superman decides he has enough super powers to be able to wear two left flip flops. I consider it for about a half a second and then say " no, you need to have both feet. Because you do. Yes Superman you need both." So we eventually find both and off we go, only to have Superman kick them off the moment he gets into his carseat.

That is the nature of Superman. The shoes were the vehicle to get him where he wanted to go. Which was in the car. He makes me smile.

Before I go I wanted to share a bit about Sketch. He is the quiet one here. He is the thinker. The quiet feeler. You knever really know what he is thinking and the moments he lets you it, its really something. In the past few weeks he is never far from my side. I think perhaps he senses I am not quite myself. He just quietly exists with me but every so often he opens up with a jewel.

He saw a story about a kitten just born with two faces. He was quite disturbed by that fact but it was not how I perceived it at first. Sketch says" Mom! did you see that story about the kitten with two faces? I would be really sad if that happened. I wouldn't like it at all. " I asked him" You wouldn't like having a kitten like that?" He shakes his head " No, I think I would be really scared if that happened to me" I say" You would be scared if you had a kitten with two faces?" Sketch says" No he must be really scared, the kitten. I would be if I had two faces"

Now what struck me about his comment was that he automatically put himself in the kittens shoes. How the kitten must be feeling. Not in the shoes of the owner. I love that about him. The be able to see yourself in anothers shoes no matter how tragic , for one so young, I am continually impressed by him. All of the kids teach me but Sketch has a unique perspective, hes the artist, he expresses himself visually more often than he talks about how he feels. I love that about him.

now time to start dinner, roast chicken and zuchinni boats. not that anyone cares..LOL

until next time
Mrs. F.

No comments: